Men's Health


Are Allergies Driving You Crazy?

Do you suffer from any of the following symptoms?

  • Itchy eyes
  • Runny nose and sneezing
  • Post nasal drip and chronic cough
  • Hives
  • Hayfever

We can help. More than 9 million Canadians suffer from allergies. Allergies most often develop during childhood, but may appear at any age. Children who have an allergic parent are more likely to develop allergies. Some of the most common environmental allergens are pollens, moulds, dust, animals and insect stings. Testing can help you determine if you are suffering from an allergy and to identify the cause so that you can be on your way to feeling better. We will work with you to treat your symptoms and remove any contributing factors.

We offer in office skin scratch testing for:

  • Trees
  • Grasses
  • Weeds
  • Dust mites
  • Cat dander
  • Ragweed
  • Mold
  • Dog dander

This quick procedure involves pricking the skin (usually the inner forearm) with a small amount of the allergen and measuring a response. Several allergens can be tested at one time.

Allergy Testing Important Patient Guidelines:

Prior to allergy testing, please avoid taking the following:

  • Corticosteriod: Prednisone for 2 weeks
  • Anithistamines: Claritin, Reactine, Allegra, Aerius for 1 week
  • Antihistamines: Atarax, Benadryll, Chlor-tripolon, Sudafed, Dimetapp for 2 days
  • Gravol, Cimetidine, Zantac, Famotidine for 2 days
  • Analgesics and Anti-inflammatories for 2 days
  • Nasal sprays and inhaler avoid day of appointment

Allergy Desensitization Treatment

Treatment is provided in the form of sublingual immunotherapy which uses small doses of the allergen under the tongue to build tolerance. This type  can be done at home. It is recommended to start therapy before the allergy season begins, usually 1-2 months before the season but can be started at anytime. This therapy is suitable for children 5 years and older, non severe-asthmatics and other populations who are unable to tolerate traditional injections. If you have a severe life threatening allergy, we recommend you consult with your Allergist for the most suitable treatment recommendations. We do not offer food allergy testing, this must be done by your allergist.

Research shows that sublingual therapy is an effective method of treating and managing allergies (Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, Aug 2006; Ear Nose and Throat Journal, Aug 2007) and is also supported by the World Health Organization (WHO) as an alternative to allergy injections. Food Allergy & Sensitivity Testing and Treatment.

Food Intolerances or Sensitivities

Have you ever wondered if you are suffering from undiagnosed food sensitivies or intolerances?

A food intolerance is an abnormal response to a food triggered by your system leading to usually digestive complaints. Food allergies often present with more severe symptoms such as hives, anaphylaxis, bloody stools, vomiting, severe cramps or even fainting. The most common food allergens include cow dairy, although wheat, citrus, soy, eggs, corn, shellfish, peanuts and other nuts. Individuals who have food allergies, eczema and asthma may have a genetic disposition thus obtaining a thorough family history is important. Food allergies usually trigger a hypersensitivity reaction in the body which causes the release of IgE antibodies. IgE mediated allergic reactions typically occur within minutes to hours after exposure to the food of concern. These may be tested via skin prick testing or by blood IgE level testing by an  allergist.

Sometimes a reaction to a food is not an allergy but a sensitivity or intolerance or all together another medical concern.   Typical symptoms of food intolerances or sensitivities may include one or more of the following:  constipation, bloating, diarrhea, stomach upset, difficulty concentrating, poor attention, skin disorders, fatigue, fussiness and or gas.We offer consultations and testing options for food sensitivities and intolerances and offer supervised diet guidance. If you are concerned about a life threatening allergy ie. peanut allergy, we recommend you consult a medical doctor for a referral to an Allergist for testing.