Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is one of the most ancient forms of medicine being over 3000 years old and has its own unique medical model in terms of diagnosis and viewing the body. It is fundamentally a different model than Western Medicine, but can work synergistically along side if required to greatly increase the effectiveness of patient healing. TCM is mainly based on the concept of ‘qi’ or ‘vital energy’ circulating in pathways throughout the body. Any blockages in these pathways disrupt the flow of qi leading to imbalance and undesirable symptoms. By using acupuncture and other modalities, we can correct imbalance to help promote well being. The World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes the benefit of acupuncture for over 100 different conditions including pain, women's health complaints, infertility, internal disorders, mental & emotional conditions, car accidents & sports injuries, anxiety, depression and stress.
The most commonly treatment methods used in Traditional Chinese Medicine are:
- Acupuncture: the placement of tiny needles to restore energetic flow
- Moxabustion: the burning of a natural herb over the skin to circulate/warm
- Cupping: the placement of cups with a suction on the skin to relieve pain, detox, or stimulate energy
- Chinese Nutrition Therapy: a unique view of nutrition that is specifically tailored to each individual patient
- Electro Stimulation: using tiny clips on specific needles, a gentle current is applied to increase effectiveness of certain treatments
- Tui Na: vigorous massage techniques to assist with pain and in healing
Registered Acupuncture in BC is governed by the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists (CTCMA). It requires a minimum of 2,145 hours of both didactic and practical/internship training and successful completion of the provincial registration exam. Registered Acupuncture is covered by most extended health care plans and select MSP coverage, WCB and ICBC coverage. Our Acupuncturists have over 2,500 hours of training in Acupuncture.
Common conditions supported with acupuncture:
- Addictions: smoking cessation, food, drugs and alcohol
- Emotional and Psychological Disorders: anxiety, stress, insomnia, depression and stress
- Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders: sinusitis, hay fever, ringing in the ears, dizziness, dry eyes and fatigued eyes
- Cancer: support chemotherapy & radiation side effects
- Cervical Ripening and labour preparation: posterior and breech acupuncture support
- Circulatory Disorders: high or low blood pressure, poor circulation, cold hands and feet
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: irritable bowel syndrome, spastic colon, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal bloating, and haemorrhoid's
- Gynecological and Genitourinary Disorders: premenstrual syndrome (PMS), irregular, heavy or painful menstruation, endometriosis, menopause, hot flashes, chronic bladder infections, painful non infectious urination, kidney stones, impotence, sexual dysfunction, genital itching or discomfort and interstitial cystitis
- Headaches and Migraines
- Infertility: natural and medicated cycles including IVF
- Musculoskeletal and Neurological Disorders: arthritis, neuralgia, sciatica, back pain, bursitis, tendonitis, stiff neck, bell's palsy, trigeminal neuralgia, headaches, migraines, stroke, cerebral palsy, sprains, muscle spasms, shingles, jaw pain or clicking
- Pregnancy related ailments: heartburn, trouble sleeping, pain, breech, pelvic ligament pains, low back pain, headaches, carpel tunnel etc.
- Respiratory Disorders: asthma
- Sleep Issues: trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep & waking up unrested
- Weight loss: carvings, appetite and weight control
We offer direct billing with most extended health care companies.